A lifetime ago I visited the Emerald Isle and whilst visiting Claddagh in Galway I learnt of the story of the Claddagh ring; a ring symbolising love, friendship and loyalty.
Before I left the magical isle, I obtained two such rings. One for myself and another for my "Anam Cara" or at least, that was what I called her way back then. "Anam Cara", it means soul friend in the Celtic language. Boy was I an endlessly naive romantic back then. I still believed in love, in romance and all that. The Claddagh was a symbol; a symbol of my devotion, my friendship, my loyalty and perhaps even, my love that I presented to my "Anam Cara".
A few weeks later, my "Anam Cara" lost her ring. It wasn't such a big deal really, it was after all only a symbol. I still had mine.. until the very last day... and then some.
Suffice to say whatever I had with my soul friend didn't last. More than half a decade ago, things came to an end and with it the symbolism of the Claddagh. The ring in my possession had no symbolism left in it but I still kept it for about a year. Don't really know why I did that, sentimental value probably.
Ultimately I chose to dispose of it. Out of the window I flung it; as hard as I can, as far as I can. Maybe I threw away my feelings together with it. The dream was shattered, reality set in.
It was the day I grew up a little.
Before I left the magical isle, I obtained two such rings. One for myself and another for my "Anam Cara" or at least, that was what I called her way back then. "Anam Cara", it means soul friend in the Celtic language. Boy was I an endlessly naive romantic back then. I still believed in love, in romance and all that. The Claddagh was a symbol; a symbol of my devotion, my friendship, my loyalty and perhaps even, my love that I presented to my "Anam Cara".A few weeks later, my "Anam Cara" lost her ring. It wasn't such a big deal really, it was after all only a symbol. I still had mine.. until the very last day... and then some.
Suffice to say whatever I had with my soul friend didn't last. More than half a decade ago, things came to an end and with it the symbolism of the Claddagh. The ring in my possession had no symbolism left in it but I still kept it for about a year. Don't really know why I did that, sentimental value probably.
Ultimately I chose to dispose of it. Out of the window I flung it; as hard as I can, as far as I can. Maybe I threw away my feelings together with it. The dream was shattered, reality set in.
It was the day I grew up a little.

No comments:
Post a Comment